Monday, April 9, 2012

There is no spoon

Why i play an 'evil' person in EVE, because none of the other options are fun to me...being a single cog in a giant machine and having to deal with egomaniacs isn't fun at all, thats like work..industrial stuff, not fun...lowsec? don't wanna be flashy red.

Highsec guys get criticism for only wanting to shoot people that don't shoot back, but it really has more to do with whats fun.  I don't hate them.  I do find myself wishing we'd have more targets come to fight, but the problem is oftentimes they'll bring 10-20 man blob and we'll only have 1-2 people logged on.  A lot of times we wouldn't mind taking that fight just because we're so bored, but when they bring more Falcons than we have people, even with ECCM, theres not much you can do.

A lot of people then ask about teaching instead of destroying people..sure I could help and teach new players, why should I do this?  This isn't fun to me either, it has nothing to do with being a bully in EVE, it has to do with this is the most fun for me in game.  Waiting 45 minutes for a fleet to form up so we can go on a roam and then another 15 minutes for the guy who is "a few jumps out", then an hr later I don't even have time.

People get so offended when you violence their boat and can't understand why so the come up with their own reasons, calling the other person an e-thug or bully.  Why am I a bully for logging in to play a game that is fun to me rather than be expected to log in to not have fun?  By that logic if I were a good person, I would just not play EVE at all, because the only fun playstyle for me involves potentially upsetting someone else.  An alliance mate compared the huge single losses that we're known to dish out as losing your lvl 90 character on Diablo II hardcore mode.  I think thats a good analogy.

EVE is just a game.  Sure there is a real person behind the other side of the screen, but its just a game and i'm going to play in a way that is fun to me.  It doesn't mean i'm a bully or a bad person.  You wouldn't call the group of old guys that have been playing together for years and dominate the pickup basketball courts every Wednesday  at the YMCA griefers or bullys just because their level of skill is higher than everyone else there.  You wouldn't point out to them that if they wanted real competition that they could play in local tournaments or find a competitive league to play in.  In fact, if you complained saying that their prevent you from getting more games in and getting better, you would get laughed at.  The fact is, they're having fun and you're not, so you have to find something wrong with it.  Some people don't care about playing the best possible competition all the time, some people just want to play the damn game and have the most fun while doing it.

1 comment:

  1. "You wouldn't point out to them that if they wanted real competition that they could play in local tournaments or find a competitive league to play in."
    Actually, nowadays, some people would, I'm sure of it.
    "In fact, if you complained saying that their prevent you from getting more games in and getting better, you would get laughed at."
    Not anymore. We can't laugh at people, you may hurt their widdle feelings, or insult their ginormous egos. :-/

    Besides, the carebears would assert that they have just as much (if not more) right to have "fun" than you do, and their "fun" is mining/missioning/plexing/whatevering alone with themselves and their 5 alts in perfect peace. ;-)

    So your idea of fun and theirs are at direct odds: you can't please one of you without displeasing the other.
    However, in light of recent events, I think CCP is leaning toward "pleasing carebears", and little of what I've seen in terms of recent developments/news/announcements is doing much to change my mind on that subject. :-/

    ReplyDelete